Subject: Re: sysinst in 1.4.1 looses for 2Gb IBM drive
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@dstc.edu.au>
List: tech-install
Date: 10/03/1999 08:37:40
  George Michaelson <ggm@dstc.edu.au> writes:
  >  http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=5052
  >
  > is still true. I've spent 2+ days battling to try and make sysinst
  > do an install on a clean disk. Nothing works.

  I've succeeded in installing on 20G disk drives without any trouble.

Jason Thorpe directed me to port-i386. I posted a 1-liner follow up (sorta)
to say that a 4Gb loaner worked fine. I can see (but don't understand) that
this is related to on-drive logic, and I just lucked out with an IBM and a
seagate model which stuffed their C/H/S mappings.

wierd. sometimes it just won't work.

But FreeBSD, although perhaps dangerously (one install, it said the 2GBibm
drive was 8gb!) managed to make it.

Maybe I need to try these drives in another BIOS and narrow it down to a
combination of componentry.

my main worry is, that this suggests for *some* combinations of h/w and s/w
you are SOL.

-George
--
George Michaelson         |  DSTC Pty Ltd
Email: ggm@dstc.edu.au    |  University of Qld 4072