Subject: sysinst in 1.4.1 looses for 2Gb IBM drive
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@dstc.edu.au>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/30/1999 12:01:27
 http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=5052

is still true. I've spent 2+ days battling to try and make sysinst
do an install on a clean disk. Nothing works.

FreeBSD still stuffs up the C/H/S but at least it manages to install
ok. Sysinst dies in newfs writing beyond MBR or what it thinks is
the end of the partition structure.

I really wanted to see how NetBSD was these days. I can't say that this
is encouraging...

(it did this on a 545Mb seagate as well. I think we can take it that the
 fake bios geometry stuff is hosed for a fairly large class of disks)

ASUS P55T2P4 blown to latest rev BIOS firmware. Tried LBA/Normal/Large/Auto
in bios. no change.

bummer.

	-George