Subject: Re: CATSINST from 1.4.1 fails on my box
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/24/1999 10:06:21
Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com> writes:
> netbsd.CATSINST isn't happy on my CATS box. It gets all the way to
>
> root on md0a dumps on md0b
>
> then says
>
> no file system for md0 (dev 0x1200)
> cannot mount root, error = 79
> root device (default md0a): wscons: wskbd0 glued to wsdisplay0 (console)
>
> and waits for me to type a root device or hit enter.

That 79 is EFTYPE, which is returned by the root VFS discovery code if
it can't figure out what type the root file system is.

> I tried entering 'ffs' instead of 'generic' for the file system type,
> but that just changed the errno to 22.

If you actually specify a file system type, it return the error that
the filesystem mountroot returns, EINVAL in this case.

I think it's... highly likely that whoever built the installation
kernels, uh, forgot to run mdsetimage to actually set the contents of
the ramdisks.

cgd