Subject: Re: default /usr partition
To: Chris G. Demetriou <>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/18/1999 12:29:14
Chris G. Demetriou writes:
> Wolfgang Rupprecht <> writes:
> > If I did I'd probably be tempted
> > to fix vi to put its backup into either the user's home directory or
> > the directory containing the file being edited.
> How do you then do recovery-file notification on reboot-after-crash?

I don't use vi, so I may well be missing something, but is the mail
that /etc/rc sends upon reboot really important?  Could it be deferred
until the user logs in the next time and run out of a global (or
user-specific) shell .rc file?

Emacs never sends any reboot mail that it saved any temp files for
me. I just assume it saved the temp files and am plenty pissed when
they are not there.

Wolfgang Rupprecht    <>
DGPS signals via the Internet
Now over IPv6!