Subject: Re: default /usr partition
To: None <>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/18/1999 11:56:27
> > Also /var/tmp and a ?? /usr/tmp ??
> > can be put here by symbolic links.
> DON'T DO THAT! /var/tmp and /tmp are different. /tmp can be scrubbed on
> boot, but /var/tmp (or /usr/tmp) are supposed to survive re-boots. That's
> how vi recover files work. :-)

Vi might well be unique in its assumptions about /usr/tmp.  Are there
any other programs that assume /usr/tmp is preserved across reboots?

For the past ~10 years I've run /tmp as a memory filesystem.  Both
under sunos and netbsd.  During that time /usr/tmp (and all the other
tmps if the were any) have always been symlinks to the fast memoryfs

For one this speeds up programs like gcc that like to write lots of
very short-lived inter-pass files in /usr/tmp.

I've never noticed a problem with /usr/tmp being volatile over
reboots.  But then I don't use vi.  If I did I'd probably be tempted
to fix vi to put its backup into either the user's home directory or
the directory containing the file being edited.

       Wolfgang Rupprecht <>
DGPS signals via the Internet
    Celebrate the new GPS millennium - Aug 21, 1999 4:59:47pm PDT