Subject: Re: default /usr partition
To: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/17/1999 19:05:31
On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Gandhi woulda smacked you wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	...and /usr wasn't put on root due to only using a small
> 	filesystem etc. blah blah woof woof and other reasons that, "given
> 	today's disk sizes and speeds", I'm sure Greg Woods and a few
> 	others would argue are moot.

I believe the real reason root was kept small was that it didn't come up
r/o in single-user mode. So that after fsck'ing root, you had to reboot.
At which point you'd re-fsck root. As /usr had LOTS of stuff in it, there
was incentive to not fsck it twice. :-) Thus a small root partition.

Take care,

Bill