Subject: Re: default /usr partition
To: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/16/1999 16:35:49
	Its a hack, albeit a useful one. The offset to the BSD area of the
	disk (and disklabel) is in another data structure (eg: fdisk)
	and effectively available as a 'readonly' partition in the
	disklabel.

	This gives us the bizarre 'c vs d' schizophrenia within tools
	trying to access the raw partition on different ports.

	What does 'c' end up being used for on i386 that could not be
	equally well done with a 'whole disk' 'c'?

		David/absolute

                 -=-  "You can have my absence of faith"  -=-