Subject: Re: default /usr partition
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/16/1999 14:54:43
On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Simon Burge wrote:

> >         The current letters used for /usr in sysinst are:
> >
> >             D: alpha pmax vax x68k
> >             E: arm32 bebox i386 pc532
> >             G: macppc sparc
> >             ?: mac68k (uses MacOS partitions - may be 'G')
> >
> >         It would be nice if we could try to move towards some recommended
> >         value where possible. Since sysinst currently either leaves
> >         everything alone (upgrade) or blows everything away and starts
> > 	from scratch (install), it shouldn't be _too_ disruptive.
>
> I used to prefer "G" for /usr, since that's how our older BSDish boxes
> used to get set up, but now I install all my NetBSD boxes with a large
> root filesystem and no /usr (as I seen a few people suggest around
> here).  Is there no reason why we shouldn't push in that direction?

	I'm definitely in favour of pushing for a default 'root + swap'
	only install, with easy option for /var and /usr, but that is
	an orthogonal issue :)

> >         I've favour 'D' on the grounds its the next available partition,
> >         and the i386 'd' braindamage should go away eventually :)
>
> This reasoning is not unsound :-)

	ccing port-sparc as I'd like to start there.
	How unhappy would people be if I changed the sparc sysinst to
	default to using 'd' for /usr?

		David/absolute

           -=-  "If there is a hell... I'll see you there"  -=-