Subject: re: NetBSD 1.4.1
To: None <>
From: matthew green <>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/10/1999 09:27:11
   I'm sitting here on a 1.3.3 system right now, hoping to upgrade to
   1.4.x sometime soon.  With hopes of getting atleast another of my
   machines here setup to track -current.  My problem is that I've
   been repeatedly told that 1.4 has some stability issues, and that I
   can't simply toss in the i386 boot floppy and use `sysinst' to upgrade.
   I've already been told that 1.4.1 would be dealing with a lot of
   these issues.

that's pretty much true as far as i know.  of course, i've generally
avoided the install programs and done this by hand :-)
   So, I guess my question is, when will we see a full 1.4.1 release?

that's a good question.  perhaps release engineering would like to
say ?  what i do know is that the last late-minute fixes have been
made (requiring kernel rebuilds which some ports have already done),
the CHANGES-1.4.1 file has been completed, most ports are built if
waiting for new kernels.  there are no source sets created yet.

   It's really a little startling that we're seeing major releases, and
   then many of us are watching and waiting for minor releases to fix
   what appear to be somewhat major issues.  I have to admit that once
   1.4.1 releases I'll be waiting a day or two to see if the installer
   blows away peoples machines as they attempt to upgrade. :-(

many of my servers run 1.3* at the moment.