Subject: vnconfig vs. cross-installation (see also install/8131)
To: None <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/03/1999 07:06:56

as I described in the PR, cross-building of installation sets tends
to use the wrong virtual disk geometry when creating installation

This is because vnconfig uses /etc/disktab unconditionally, and
because in the places where vnconfig is called, named disk tab
entries are used.

There are two possible solutions:

a) add a parameter (say, -f) to vnconfig which names the disktab
file to use, and use -f $(DESTDIR)/etc/disktab

b) use the command-line "geomspec" parameter instead.  This is
enough for creating miniroots and kernel-contained ramdisk images.
I suspect some architectures need to build a real disk image,

benefit: it will keep all information about virtual disk geometry
in one place).

Any thoughts?