Subject: Re: random installation related points
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: tech-install
Date: 07/27/1999 23:19:05
>	d) The Solaris installer has many features I feel we should be
>	   inspired by:
>		- consistent design (you can go back at any step)
>		- great disk partition tool

I never thought the Solaris installer had a "great" disk parition tool,
but I'm not sure I've ever seen a great disk paritioning tool.  Certainly
ours is pretty sub-optimal.

If we just had the Solaris partitioner, that would be great.  I guess in
thinking back it always seemed like I had to do too much work in figuring
out where one partition stopped and the next one started.  If our new
hypothetical partitioning tool could do that magic for you (but still
allow overlapping partitions for those odd few cases), then that would
be excellent.

... and if the Solaris install _can_ figure that out for you, then
please tell me what I've been doing wrong!

--Ken