Subject: Re: Something to shoot for someday...
To: None <cgd@netbsd.org, perry@piermont.com>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 07/01/1999 09:53:04
> From: cgd@netbsd.org (Chris G. Demetriou)
> Date: 01 Jul 1999 08:36:08 -0700
>
> "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:
> > cyber@netbsd.org writes:
> > > What would help me an astronomical amount would be to turn sysinst
> > > into a library,
> >
> > Considering that the current sysinst is doomed...
>
> Yes, and we're all gonna die!!!
>
> The question is _when_.  8-)

Since a replacement for sysinst has not even been STARTED yet, AFAIK, and
since many improvements could be carried over should a new one magically
appear, I see no reason to stop work on the version we are shipping with
each release.

And what if the rewrite never happens? For example, what if the rewriter
gets hit by the proverbial bus? Gets a big, demanding contract? Gets in a
dispute with <censored> and stomps off? (Gee, could that happen here? :-)

And if a rewrite actually gets started, it's at first just a one-person
job. There is no point in stopping work cooperative, project-wide work on
the old one ... raising the passing grade for hypothetical, new sysinst
vaporware is a good thing, not a bad thing.

	Ross.Harvey@Computer.Org