Subject: Re: Something to shoot for someday...
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 07/01/1999 01:46:51
Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> writes:
> It'd be possible to add it back, but all the `backend' code which also
> takes UI action (e.g., running a program in a subwindow so that users
> can see any output or error messages) would have to be re-written to
> go via a UI-mechanism layer. Right now, the backend code has inline
> curses calls all through it.  Is it worth fixing that?

Personally, I don't think it's worth going there until:

	* a UI toolkit that's adaptable to both X and curses is
	  picked, and

	* general conversion of the rest of the interface (e.g. menu
	  and message display) is started.

Really, I think the menu and message display issues are much harder
and much less localized than the program-running code.  8-)

Note that I think that much of the work that I just outlined as
"things I think need to be done" will probably make transitioning to
a toolkit a bit easier.  Really, the msg/menu APIs need to be cleaned
up a lot (and a need a few more features), and that whole list falls
out of that and the desire to make the code more maintainable.

cgd