Subject: Re: Default filesystem sizes
To: Simon Burge <>
From: David Brownlee <>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/21/1999 21:59:24
On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Simon Burge wrote:

> If the first (simple) menu was:
> 	[a] Standard            (one big filesystem, plus swap)
> 	[b] Standard server     (/, swap, /usr, /var)
> 	[c] Custom              (Uses defaults from [b]).
> and the custom menu was:
> 	[a] Install with X          [no]
> 	[b] Separate /usr partition [no]
> 	[c] Separate /var partition [no]
> 	[d] Enter custom values (the "old" custom menu)
> This still isn't quite right, but you get the idea.
	Its not half bad though... Hmm, all of this is going to be
	thrown out at some point when we support splitting across
	multiple disks (I assume :), but until then I like your
	menu setup (though I would default 'X' to on).

	The second menu still needs a 'continue' options:

 	[a] Install with X          [no]
 	[b] Separate /usr partition [no]
 	[c] Separate /var partition [no]
 	[d] Continue and generate disklabel
 	[e] Enter custom values (the "old" custom menu)

	At which point we could probably reduce the first menu to a
	'do you want the standard or customised disk layout' question,
	and default to 'standard'.

> One of my ideas for the future of sysinst was to get the sets to install
> before sizing the partitions, that way we don't need to do the "do you
> want X" dance.  It'd also be great if sysinst dynamically knew how
> big the sets are (maybe from a config file - see the "NetBSD System
> Packages" thread back in October 1998 in tech-install), so it could say
> "Ooi, /usr isn't going to fit", depending of what sets we chosed, etc.

	That would be a pretty good thing, but definitely port 1.4.1.

	Chris - would you have any idea of the timescale for getting
	changes into sysinst for 1.4.1?

	 -=-  "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger"  -=-