Subject: Re: Default filesystem sizes
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/21/1999 20:34:26
On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Simon Burge wrote:

> David Brownlee wrote:
>
> > 		[a] Toggle 'install with X'
> > 		[b] Standard		(one big filesystem, plus swap)
> > 		[c] Standard server	(/, swap, /usr, /var)
> > 		[d] Custom 		(Uses defaults from [c]).
>
> Could we insert a "[c] Standard with /var" as well?  I've seen a few
> people mention that they use that sort of layout.

	Hmm - I'm a little wary about confusing users further.
        I'd imagine those who use that config are most likely to
        use 'custom' setup anyway.

	(Now I'm about to suggest something that will probably being
	even more confusing for naive users :)

        How about:

                [a] Generate disklabel based on below
                [b] Install with X          [no]
                [c] Separate /usr partition [no]
                [d] Separate /var partition [no]
                [e] Enter custom values

        That gives eight different ways (2*2*2)

	We're probably getting too complicated here - feedback
	still welcomed...

		David/absolute

     		  -=-  "cold nights, dark days..."  -=-