Subject: re: Default filesystem sizes
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/21/1999 11:21:53

   Actually, I'm getting closer to wondering whether we should even
   bother splitting / and /usr for "naive user" installs.

the only machines i use a split / and /usr on are my diskless machines
(i share /usr for the same arch).

and i *really* also agree with what sommerfeld said about having a
separate /var by default!  all of my machines (again, except the
dickless machines, but they've always been Special :) have a separate
/var, often a large one (30MB smallest, 70-100MB average, 500MB on
a big services server).

it would be useful if sysinst included options for

	(a) no /usr

	(b) separate /var

somewhere violently apparently and easy to get at, it would be very nice.

(note that sysinst in 1.4 _can't_ deal with not creating a /usr, it
accepts "0" for size, removing it from the partition list, but later
it still tries to newfs it but that partition doesn't exist or has
zero size -> lossage).