Subject: Re: Default filesystem sizes
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/20/1999 11:14:35
David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com> writes:
> 		Split the remainder: 	1/32 to swap (clip at 8*ram)
> 		   			1/16 of remainder to root
> 					Rest to usr
>
> 	There are some values on a per port basis, but the equations
> 	stay the same.
>
> 	What do people think?

"I'm glad i do my partition layouts myself."  8-) More seriously, this
seems kinda bogus; that seems like ... a lot of space wasted in the
root file system.  While we shouldn't want to have the default
partitioning come up 'short,' neither should we want experienced used
to feel that they _have_ to do their own partitioning because it
wastes too much space.

Actually, I'm getting closer to wondering whether we should even
bother splitting / and /usr for "naive user" installs.

cgd