Subject: Re: disklabel(8) UI (was Re: IBM DFHS-31080 SCSI drive problem)
To: Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 05/21/1999 10:03:14
Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.ORG> writes:
> First question - "what's scheme"?  It's a scripting language.

Not really. Its a dialect of lisp. It is known for being VERY simple
-- the whole formal report on the language is only a couple dozen
pages. The language is highly orthogonal, and if you've ever touched
any sort of lisp before, the learning curve should be minimal.

> I hope the learning curve is not too high,

I suspect it won't be for anyone who's ever touched any flavor of lisp
at all. For others, I suspect that "monkey see/monkey do" type edits
are going to be fairly easy anyway. Very little that is complex is
going to be done in the scripts, after all.

> I guess I'm still not convinced that we have to move away from C.
> After all, it's a language that just about everyone in the project is
> comfortable with.

But it is completely inflexible.

> For a start, I think we need a decent forms library (I haven't really
> checked out the ncurses one), and something that can handle dynamic
> scrolling multi-choice menus (think of binary set choice menu with
> selectable subsets).

Between CDK and the stuff that comes with ncurses, we've got a good start.

Perry