Subject: upgrade/install 1.4/i386
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: tech-install
Date: 05/20/1999 00:17:02
I decided to upgrade my notebook to 1.4...

Unfortunately the upgrade failed as sysinst kept dumping core - I
think it was when it was trying to update the boot blocks.  Its hard
to be sure as the screen clears just as it gets interesting.

After a few goes I gave up and decided to install from scratch.
Its installing now....

I hope I sucsessfully tricked it into leaving my MBR record alone -
just updating the NetBSD partition ID.

Also I asked it to create just / and swap - no separate /usr.
I think that worked but the screen clears and then you get the nice:

"if you see any errors above - abort now"

message at the top of the screen :-)  A little worrying.

I know space is tight, but I'd suggest running the critical sections
with output redirected - or tee'd to a file, and have sysinst allow
the user to [re]examine it if need be.

[waiting for sets to finish unpacking...]

Ok cool, booted off the harddisk the boot selector etc all obviously
left intact ok.

Looking good!

--sjg