Subject: re: Modification To CD-ROM Device Driver (To Read Partition
To: matthew green ,Rob Ginn <rob@olg.com>
From: Rob Ginn <rob@olg.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 04/19/1999 21:36:51
Matthew,

No, "boot cdrom" isn't broken, but the default root partition
is based on the default boot partition.  So, if you are on a
Sun 670 (for example), the boot cdrom command makes the system
boot the (sun) partition label entry cd0d.  When NetBSD comes up,
it defaults to mounting root at /dev/cd0d (which doesn't exist
in the fake cd label we have now).  Thus you have to specify boot
options.  Not a disaster, but certainly less convenient.

As for the throw away issue, to make a bootable CD now, one
makes a CD that looks like this:

[iso image with root filesystem][install image with (unused) root filesystem]

The install image is _only_ used to bootstrap the system, the rest
of the process loads the kernel from the iso image at the start
of the disc.  The root filesystem that is mounted is also there.
Thus, the root filesystem on the end of the disc is a "throw away".

As to why it's faster, I'm not really sure, but my guess is
that it is the speed of the filesystem.  And yes, the speed
difference is amazing.

- Rob
rob@olg.com