Subject: Re: Saving space on install disk idea...
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 04/14/1999 11:40:02
On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Simon Burge wrote:

> David Brownlee wrote:
>
> > We currently compile all the binaries to crunch -O2, would it make
> > more sense to compile them -Os?
>
> The way I understand it, crunchgen generates stubs that are then
> compiled and linked with objects files normally left over from a "make
> build".  Just compiling those stubs with -Os wouldn't save that much
> space.

	Hmm - theres libhack also, but thats unlikely to be much of a gain
	(its not as if we're talking bootblocks here, where bytes _really_
	count :)

> To compile everything that get's crunched (including chunks of libc),
> you'd some fancy reach-over Makefile system that recompiled a hell of a
> lot of stuff.  Whether or not this is worth the effort is not an easy
> question to answer, and depends on a port-by-port basis.  For example,
> on the pmax we don't really have space limitations at the moment, but
> for the i386 it may make a difference between a single or double floppy
> install.

	Actually, I'm working on a custom i386 boot floppy for something
	here...

> I've got a reasonably idle PII-400 - I'm happy to fire off a "make
> build" with -Os and build a hopefully smaller install disk if anyone
> thinks it's worth the effort...

	What might be easier, if not quite as beneficial would be to
	run a make clean in /usr/src, then run the 'make CFLAGS=-Os'
	in /usr/distrib/i386/floppies.

	It would compile all the program .o files -Os, leaving the
	libs -O2, which gets you something without having to
	mess with your installed system.

	It will leave -Os object files scattered around the source
	tree, but its only a proof on concept :)

		David/absolute

           -=-  "If there is a hell... I'll see you there"  -=-