Subject: Re: IMPORTANT: wscons virtual screen configuration
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: None <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: tech-install
Date: 03/15/1999 21:51:46
abs@anim.dreamworks.com said:
> 	It does seem a touch odd to have three programs to configure
> 	a wscons display (wsconsctl,wsconscfg,wsfontload). In particular
> 	wsfontload does not really do very much, and we now have to have
> 	a fourth program (the wsconfig script) in order to implement a -C.

The idea behind that is that "wsconscfg" does global settings
which are done at startup or by root. "wsconsctl" does local things
for the user logged in to a particular virtual terminal.
Font loading is a global/root thing, and from that point it
could be done by "wsconscfg" as well. The reason I made it a separate
utility is that the arguments are completely orthogonal - it would
look strange in a manpage to have eg
'-e means "encoding" if a font is loaded, and "emulation" if a vt
is configured'
or a number of '-x does exclude -y' in a manpage.

Ideas for a better user interface are welcome of course.

best regards
Matthias