Subject: Re: Implementation of HD Detection
To: Lukas Ruf <lpruf@stud.ee.ethz.ch>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: tech-install
Date: 02/04/1999 10:28:13
On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Lukas Ruf wrote:

> As I'm new to NetBSD but quite experienced in programming with other
> systems (I developed an new port of a multithreading OS to the ia32), I
> thought about developing a detection routine for the HD's of my Laptop
> (COMPAQ ARMADA 7750MT) to be used in NetBSD.

You'll need to get detection code in the kernel, then sysinst should just
see them.

> I would appreciate, if anyone out there could give me a hint, where I
> can find the routines used in sysinstall/boot floppy for HD detection to
> hack the code into this place, or,  if already another person is
> developing such code, send me the address for contact, resp. where I
> can find the code -- I do not like to produce code without any sense, if
> others already did the same (coordination info required).

What kind of disks are they and what kind of interface? I think the
main thing you need to do is get the disk controller noticed, then the
drives will probably automatically get noticed.

port-i386 would probably be the best list for such a discussion.

Good luck!

Take care,

Bill