Subject: Re: ldconfig.0/8 breaks man.tgz set build on ELF
To: None <root@garbled.net, tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 01/24/1999 23:38:26
> From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
> To: tech-install@netbsd.org
> Subject: ldconfig.0/8 breaks man.tgz set build on ELF
>
> pax: Unable to access ./usr/share/man/man8/ldconfig.8 <No such file or
> directory>
>
> While building a snapshot for alpha.. I noticed that our generic "mi" manpage
> target includes "ldconfig.[08]".  This obviously fails on alpha/pmax machines
> that are ELF and do not install the evil utility.
>
> What is the right way to fix this?

The goal is to install the same manpages (more precisely: the same /usr/share)
no matter which arch the build occurs on. We aren't there yet, mainly
because we traverse thru src/gnu in an arch-dependent way.  Sometimes we
install a page only on (or not on) one arch, sometimes we install the same
page (!) with two different contents.

The right way to fix it is to fix the build system so that every arch
traverses thru every directory that has a man page. There are at least two
ways to do this for the `problem' subtrees. The obvious way is to just
build the man page and somehow ignore the other targets. The other way is
to put the man page source as the only file in a new directory with its
own Makefile.

For things like ld(1), with two different ld.1 files, TRTTD is to install
the more recent post-ELF page on all systems, making sure that it is a
superset of the older page.

(I was tempted to claim that the right thing to do with ldconfig in particular
is to nuke it from orbit. :-)

	Ross.Harvey@Computer.Org