Subject: Re: i386 floppy no longer fits
To: None <martin@rumolt.teuto.de, perry@piermont.com>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: tech-install
Date: 01/11/1999 16:38:00
Hi,

> Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de> writes:
> > Yes, talking i386: the boot floppy image may be of arbitrary size.
>
> Hmmm. That's interesting. Do you know where we can get documentation
> on this?

Have a look at http://www.ptltd.com/products/specs-cdrom.pdf.

TO be precise, if you want to boot floppy images, they can be 1.2, 1.44
or 2.88 MB in size.  You can also boot a hard disk image (with supposedly
arbitrary size).  Or you can boot with "No Emulation" meaning that some
image is loaded from the CD into memory and then started (like e.g. the
kernel).  Note that those latter possibilities might not work on older
PCs claiming to support booting from CDROM.

Hope it helps.

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--