Subject: Re: i386 floppy no longer fits
To: None <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca, perry@piermont.com>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 01/09/1999 13:46:45
Please note that the second floppy will have only a _little bit_ of stuff
on it and will therefore load in just a couple of seconds -- it has _zero_
FS overhead beyond the volume label, not even the low ustar overhead,
because the header block for the file was already on the first volume ..
it's purely incremental gzip'ed (someday bzip2'ed) space for the new stuff.

For these reasons, it will be a long long time before we fill up even half
of it. On port-alpha, we actually got faster with two disks because of
unrelated changes. As i386 already has boot floppy speed opts, further
improvements may be hard, but then, it's already fast!