Subject: Re: i386 floppy no longer fits
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 01/09/1999 13:26:30
[ On Sat, January 9, 1999 at 09:04:11 (-0800), Jason Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: i386 floppy no longer fits
>
> Trimming the count of a given device doens't make it consume less disk
> space.  Sorry :-)

Well, it *can*, if you also reduce the number of inodes in the
filesystem to the bare minimum to hold all of the contained files.

I had this very problem when creating a custom FreeBSD-2.1.7 release.
They were creating far too many inodes on the filesystem floppy and when
the crunchgen binary grew a tiny bit because I was including the
domestic version of the libraries, things suddenly blew up.  A quick "df
-i" and re-adjustment of the floppy "newfs" parameters and I recovered
quite a few kilobytes of space and was able again to build boot floppies.

--
							Greg A. Woods