Subject: Re: i386 floppy no longer fits
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 01/09/1999 12:58:51
John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca> writes:
>      Yes, this is a problem.  Although, there aren't that many new
> drivers.  I just looked at all the INSTALL* config files to see if
> anything could be trimmed.  I would say trim COMPAT_1[0123], and have
> only 1 ppp, 1 sl, and 8 pty's.  I don't know how much of a difference
> all this will make, but every little bit helps.

It makes virtually no difference, and eliminating the COMPAT_ stuff
makes it impossible to run software that might already be on your drive.

Believe me, I've tried a *lot* of things. Few of them work.

> } ethernet card or disk controller isn't supported. They get upset when
>
>      It might be possible to get rid of some of the really esoteric,
> or prehistoric ones (i.e. 3c501).

You do that and people bitch viciously because they no longer have
install media for their machine, and they are probably right to do
so. You can't fix the problem this way. It doesn't work out.

Perry