Subject: Re: i386 floppy no longer fits
To: Frank Warren <clovis@home.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
List: tech-install
Date: 01/09/1999 04:19:18
On Jan 9,  2:36am, Frank Warren wrote:
}
} I'd rather have two floppies than have BOTH my network cards fail to
} come up.  Both 3Com 3c509X and
} 3Com90X cards fail with the 1.3.2 distribution.  I'm running FreeBSD not

     I have never had problems getting 3c509 or 3c905 cards working.
Try telling your BIOS that you don't have a PnP OS.  Also, try using
the DOS program that came with the card (you can also download a copy
from http://www.3com.com/), called 3c50xcfg.exe/3c90xcfg.exe to
configure the card for the interrupt and media that you use.  If those
ideas don't work, then post all the information about the system that
you have (including dmesg output), and maybe somebody can help you get
it working.

} If I get the leave to make a suggestion, on i386 I'd rather have more
} drivers than less, and swapping

     I would agree with this.  I was just suggesting the possibility
of removing really really esoteric drivers that 95%+ NetBSD users will
never need.

} a floppy won't hurt my feelings any.  I spent 4 seriously frustrating

     I don't mind swapping one floppy.  I just don't want to see
things get to the point where you have to feed the machine 10 floppies
just to boot it (yeah that's exagerated, but I'm sure you get the
point).

}-- End of excerpt from Frank Warren