Subject: Re: i386 floppy no longer fits
To: None <marc@mit.edu, perry@piermont.com>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 01/05/1999 11:58:24
> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
>
> Marc Horowitz <marc@mit.edu> writes:
> > I just tried building an i386 bootfloppy for -current, and it runs out
> > of space running installboot :-(
>
> That's why Havard built the tools to adapt ustarfs from the Alpha port
> -- so that we can do multi-floppy boots now. The problem is that it
> isn't clear if this is the "right" long term solution because it won't
> work well with boot-from-CD....

If you want el torito-style boot-from-CD _and_ a ramdisk root, you just
have to go back to a smaller kernel. If you are willing to open the CD or
to put the miniroot on the CD, then ustarfs could, in the first case, open
a specific file instead of `disk 2', and in the second case, any boot fs
would work...the floppy need hold only the kernel.

  Ross.Harvey@Computer.Org