Subject: Re: reworked idea for reducing BIOS headache.
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 10/02/1998 18:25:27
Todd Whitesel writes:
> > > Yes, and my solution to the BIOS geom problem is to distill out little
> > > pieces of pfdisk and insert them into the bootstrap loader,
> >
> > We should not be doing that to the bootstrap loader. That is totally
> > the wrong place for that.
>
> Only if it gets in everyone's face every time they boot, and that can be
> prevented. I tried to describe this as only intended for install disks.

EITHER way. It is the wrong tool at the wrong time, without any
question in my mind. Standalone tools I don't mind, but I will
seriously fight any attempt at bloating the boot blocks any further.

Now, I *do* think a standalone fdisk might be a good idea, but I've
been saying that for almost two years.

> > If you want some sort of standalone code, that's okay, but the
> > bootstrap loader is *not* the place for this.
>
> Hold off until I get some patches working. Then it'll be easier to explain
> exactly what I'm up to.

If what you are up to expands the size of the boot blocks, and makes
them add functionality for things other than booting, it probably is a
bad idea.

Perry