Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: NetBSD System Packages (LONG)
To: Robert V. Baron <rvb@cs.cmu.edu>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 10/01/1998 23:13:46
On 1 Oct 1998, Robert V. Baron wrote:

 *
 * Is all this concern about space warranted?  I have the standard old
 * sets and x loaded into about 200meg.  (This is for an x86 platform.)
 * Most disks you buy these days are at least 2gig.  New pc's come with 6
 * to 10 Gig standard.  So from this point of view I really don't need to
 * know sizes of packages or meta packages or sets.  I really want the
 * whole thing.  So my question is which users are we optimizing for.
 * I also would like to think that all the "bits" will be available on
 * CDs or local servers, so optimizing for bandwidth is not that big
 * a deal either.

"Plenitude of disk space, affordability of RAM and cheapness of CPU
speed are not excuses for shoddy programming or abuse of resources."

Thanks to the kindness of several people (all my hardware was given to
me, else I'd not have it now), I'm running on:
	a SPARCstation IPX;
	64MB core;
	2 Sun0424s, a Sun0669, a Sun1.0G and a Sun1.3G (disks);
	an old Exabyte 8200 and a Sanyo 4x CD-ROM.

Had I not the friends I have, I'd not have a system at all.  I certainly
cannot afford to go and willy-nilly replace a SCSI disk when one burns
out.

				--*greywolf;
--
Friends don't let friends use Microsoft.