Subject: Re: reworked idea for reducing BIOS headache.
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Robert V. Baron <rvb@cs.cmu.edu>
List: tech-install
Date: 10/01/1998 11:54:16
Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com> writes:

> What I mean by "prepare" is writing a blank MBR with the BIOS geometry in it.
> Later, when sysinst runs, it can put a lot more faith in the geometry returned

There is a program in the "floppies" directory, pfdisk.exe.  It is a
DOS program that does close to what you want.  You must give it a BIOS
disk unit number.  Then it lets you edit the mbr on this disk.  If you
create a BIOS partition with type 165 or 169, then NetBSD will know to
use it, when it goes to that disk.  Pfdisk also sets the end CHS to be
the last track -1 and last sector.  So NetBSD will correctly intuit
the bios geometry after this program has run.

pfdisk does not work for disk >8.4GIG.