Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: NetBSD System Packages
To: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 10/01/1998 04:30:20
> I think if we could move away from sysinst as anything more than a
> nice UI which called the pkg* tools, we'd be a darn sight closer to
> a very nice, very _clean_ install.

I like this. In fact it would be nice if some of the other things in sysinst
were made into command line utilities, like the IP network setup, to help
people learn & remember the typical decision tree for bringing up IP.

> Being able to determine total unpacked sizes broken down by actual
> filesystem boundaries -- or even in a raw manner ("This will take this
> much space on root; I'll note it to help you size your filesystems
> later") (depending on which comes first, filesystem layout or software
> selection) -- is not just "nice".  It's not essential NOW (while we're
> preparing for a first run and ironing out the bugs at some point), but
> it needs to be addressed.

Strongly Agree. I think a lot of Good Things will domino from having good
sizing information available at partition time.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com