Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: NetBSD System Packages (LONG)
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Tim Rightnour <>
List: tech-install
Date: 10/01/1998 00:54:55
On 01-Oct-98 Hubert Feyrer spoke unto us all:
#  On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Tim Rightnour wrote:
# > For example.. If I smoke perl, I should be able to specify -R and blast
# > everything that depends on perl.  I doubt you want to go in the other
# > direction.
#  I want: Tell it to nuke perl-Tk, and it will go and nuke off perl, Tk,
#  tcl, ... IF they aren't needed by something else (hence the "bottom up"
#  approach")

Thats bizzare.. but I can see no reason not to put it in..  I would label that
"top down" however...

# > meta-pkgs are good, assuming they work.  I'm not convinced ours really do,
# > because they dont pkg_delete recursively.
#  You're making the same mistake as Jonathan & Jim here: just because the
#  existing tools don't provide a feature doesn't mean the underlying data
#  structure doesn't provide it.

Thats very true.  When I said that, what I really should have said was:
pkg_delete doesn't DTRT, the pkg formats do.  I was evaluating our meta-pkg's
as a whole, from the enduser POV.

Tim Rightnour  -
Free Multi-Platform Operating System:
Get your official NetBSD-1.3.2 CDROM set today!