Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: NetBSD System Packages
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-install
Date: 10/01/1998 00:34:23
>Depends on how that "making a superset" works. From the UI POV (handling
>everything with one tool), that's all I've been talking about.

Oh. I think I see

You've been talking about arbitrarily changing the requirements of the
install system, so that your current tools can handle them without
changes.  I'm saying that won't fly.

Whereas I'm suggesting changing the formats used by _both_ sets of
tools, so that they can both operate on pkgsets.  That means enhancing
the format used by the current pkg tools a wee bit -- some size
indicator, I dont care which of the two options, and a recursion
marker -- and keeping the two tools in synch thereafter.

You're saying that won't fly.

Can we both agree on that as  a fair summary?