Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: NetBSD System Packages (LONG)
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: tech-install
Date: 10/01/1998 14:20:22
[ Cc: list cut back to tech-install and Jonathan (by request) ]

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 20:16:39 -0700 (PDT)  Todd Whitesel wrote:

> Suppose I download base.tgz, kern.tgz, and a file containing all the
> precomputed package sizes. Tell it what I want so it knows how to size
> my partitions, and install the base system. Reboot. (It should also save
> my package selections in a data file somewhere, perhaps /etc.)
>
> Then I use the basic system to set up my download path and have it chug
> through the previously saved list of desired packages.
>
> The only gotcha I can see here is that you need accurate "enough" size
> information (which fstype? what fragsize? etc.) or else there will be
> corner case errors that could not be detected until after you are running
> from the badly partitioned disk.

I would envisage that any automatic procedure would add a decent safety
margin when calculating disk and/or partition sizes.  A number that
comes to mind for no particular reason is say 30%.  That leaves a fair
bit of room for growth, and should stop any corner cases.

Simon (not going to argue about the magic 30% number today :)