Subject: Re: reworked idea for reducing BIOS headache.
To: None <toddpw@best.com>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@steelhead.cs.wwu.edu>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/29/1998 21:06:48
>Okay, so set the first partition in the MBR to cover the whole disk minus
>the first track, type it to NetBSD, and put a disklabel in that partition.

This is what sysinst does if the whole disk is selected.  The problem is
knowing that is the first track in relation to the BIOS geometry for
that disk.  This is the real problem that needs to be addressed.

I may generate a sysinst that will skip only the first sector and try
that road again.  That would eliminate the need to worry with getting
the geometry absolutely correct.  It still would be desirable to have
it accurate for setting the end H/S in the MBR, but as long as it was
big enough to cover /dev/?d?a, it would work.  (Assuming it is true
that BIOSes don't really complain at booting something from the first
track.)

--
Phil Nelson
phil@steelhead.cs.wwu.edu (NetBSD/pc532 machine)