Subject: i386 BIOS weirdness infecting the universe.
To: None <tech-install@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/28/1998 04:10:26
I finally got a chance to read through all the BIOS/sysinst emails.

Man, this whole BIOS geometry business makes me want to puke.

It also makes me wish we could just give up, and force everyone to do all
their MBR editing from a floppy that just loads PFDISK.

If we only tweak MBR's while the BIOS is available, presto, no geometry
problems.

On a more serious note, it might be a good idea to make the "PFDISK floppy"
anyway, so that people who don't want to type a geometry number _ever_ can
use it to pick a disk, write a "cookie" -- no, an MBR, what else would you
put on a blank disk! -- and then run sysinst which now has guaranteed BIOS
geometry information to look at. Manual setting of BIOS geometry would be
left as an expert option.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com