Subject: Re: sysinstall "local" tarball
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/20/1998 08:15:54
> On Sep 19, rvb@sicily.odyssey.cs.cmu.edu wrote
> > So this argues that the changes should be in the ATA code path not the
> > disklabel.  That's fine.  But putting the code there means that all
> > platforms that share the code get the change.  This means more
> > testing.
>
> I think this should be in the ATA code, presisely so that other platforms
> using it get the changes. I can't any reason to not put a 10Gb drive in
> an ATARI.

Neither of those statements makes any sense.  The IDE/ATA code already
handles 10GB disks, and should work fine in an Atari.  The OS doesn't
care what the geometry is; only the BIOS on PCs does (for booting),
and it cares for *all* disks, not just those using the wd/wdc drivers.
(Of course, the Atari may have its own restrictions on booting.)