Subject: Re: sysinstall changes
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@steelhead.cs.wwu.edu>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/18/1998 12:07:20
>sysinst must stop parsing dmesg output to get information for
>installation. This is non-negotiable.

sysinst is not parsing dmesg output.  It never has for a distributed
version.  It gets the disk geometry via an ioctl.  I just wish there
was an ioctl for the BIOS geometry.  It does parse the output of
a few utilities.  I hope we can get rid of parsing fdisk output.
fdisk could make use of the BIOD geometry ioctl.

By the way, I was thinking about primitive scripting for sysinst and
it is close to being there by using the txtwalk code.  I'll flesh
out this more later.

--
Phil Nelson
phil@steelhead.cs.wwu.edu (NetBSD/pc532 machine)