Subject: Re: sysinstall "local" tarball
To: Michael Graff <>
From: Charles M. Hannum <>
List: tech-install
Date: 09/16/1998 21:41:55
What I'd like is for the list of `sets' (and their sizes,
descriptions, etc.) to be in a file that's either on the boot image or
accompanies the set files.  This would allow us to do a number of
things very easily -- have multiple X server sets on the i386, add a
local `athena' set at MIT, etc.

I'd also like to see some support for a sort of `express network
setup', in the same vain.  E.g., at MIT, I'd configure it like this:

subnet	  router     broadcast	    name servers

(Yes, 18.70 really does use all-0s for the broadcast address.  Don't

Then the user should just type in the IP address, and the rest of the
network configuration would default to TRT if there was a matching

These changes would allow people to trivially create custom install
images for particular sites.