Subject: Re: Default netmask
To: None <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@steelhead.cs.wwu.edu>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/27/1998 11:57:40
>  1.  Is there anyone in their right mind on a class A or B that
>      _really_ wants broadcasts to go to _all_ machines, i.e., that
>      doesn't subnet internally?  If not, maybe the default
>      should be 0xffffff00, to avoid boneheads like me.  :)
>      Or maybe a note should pop up for class A and B saying
>      `most class A and B folks subnet internally, so the proper
>      netmask is 0xffffff00.  Do you want to use a netmask of
>      0xffffff00, or 0xff..0000?'

This is really hard to know what people do.  Here at WWU, on our
class B network, I know of netmasks of 0xffffff00, 0xfffffc00,
and 0xffffff80.  There may be more.  For this reason, sysinst
gives the standard netmask for the class (or should).

>  2.  In sysinst's net.c, it appears that the netmask for class C
>      nets (192.* -- 223.*) is still set to 0xffff0000 --
>      shouldn't that be 0xffffff00?

This is a bug and should be fixed.  It may be a case of too much
cut and paste.  Sorry.

--
Phil Nelson
phil@steelhead.cs.wwu.edu (NetBSD/pc532 machine)