Subject: Re: sysinst maintainer?
To: None <root@garbled.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/17/1998 19:08:51
Tim Rightnour writes:
> On 17-Aug-98 Phil Nelson spoke unto us all:
> #  As far as I know, I've done all the changes to both menuc or msgc.  I
> #  would appreciate you discussing changes with me.
>
> Well..  I need to look it over a bit more carefully before I jump in and atta
ck
> it..  I just have a few ideas about some things to fiddle..
>
> #1 More use of subwindows..  Use pipes to direct input from sub processes to
> the sub-windows, to avoid screen transients.

I'm wondering whether, at some point, we might want to look a bit more
at alternatives to the wide use of subprocess calls we make.

BTW, no offense to Phil intended, but we might want to look at whether
some of the standard curses menu/window packages that come with
ncurses might make some of this easier. (Or maybe not!)

> #2 logging of all activites performed by sysinst, and the output.. This will
> make it easier for people to send detailed PR's and review what happened..
> (possibly similar to smit, a log and a script)

A good idea.

> #3 take a look at some post-install uses of sysinst.. such as disklabel
> twiddling and basic admin tasks.. (possibly opening the door for future use
> with packages)

For this, we should probably start modularizing the code a bit...

Perry