Subject: Re: sysinst maintainer?
To: Phil Nelson <phil@steelhead.cs.wwu.edu>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-install
Date: 08/17/1998 15:31:46
On 17-Aug-98 Phil Nelson spoke unto us all:
#  As far as I know, I've done all the changes to both menuc or msgc.  I
#  would appreciate you discussing changes with me.

Well..  I need to look it over a bit more carefully before I jump in and attack
it..  I just have a few ideas about some things to fiddle..

#1 More use of subwindows..  Use pipes to direct input from sub processes to
the sub-windows, to avoid screen transients.

#2 logging of all activites performed by sysinst, and the output.. This will
make it easier for people to send detailed PR's and review what happened..
(possibly similar to smit, a log and a script)

#3 take a look at some post-install uses of sysinst.. such as disklabel
twiddling and basic admin tasks.. (possibly opening the door for future use
with packages)

The big thing is #1..  I want all shell prompts, execs, system()'s and the like
to occur inside a "subwindow" to eliminate any mangling of the tty..

I need to take a look at the current version first.. maybe you are allready on
top of some of this stuff..  Like I said.. I want to review the code, try some
stuff out.. and see what I still want to do to it.. But I don't want to step on
toes..

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html