Subject: Re: Things That Suck About pkgsrc, part 3
To: None <tech-install@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hugh LaMaster <lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov>
List: tech-install
Date: 07/17/1998 09:29:27
On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Tim Rightnour writes:
> > #  I agree that we want to have easy to use tools. I'm just saying that
> > #  smit is a piece of crap and should not be used as a model for
> > #  anything.
> >
> > When I say model it on smit..  I guess I mean:
> > "Smit has a decent curses UI, and menu structure"
> >
> > The screens when you go to do something, are, and I agree.. horrid.

I used SMIT quite a long time ago now, and disliked it then,
although I imagine that it has improved since.  There was
one thing I recall liking about it, however, that I would
recommend be used on *any* GUI-based system, curses, Tcl/Tk/X,
Motif, whatever.  And that is, that the actual work was done
by single command-line-usable commands, and that the tool shows
you what the commands are.  I have seen this same idea on
several Tcl/Tk-based tools, and, I now consider it essential
for such a system.

> Well, we have the very, very earliest beginnings in sysinst. At this
> point, it is very primitive, but only one person has done any work on
> it. If people would start hacking on it and improving it, that tiny
> seed might grow into a big tree.

Personally, I think the easiest GUI-based tool that I have
used is the SGI GUI tool software manager tool.   Unfortunately,
it doesn't follow the previously-mentioned requirement, because
it doesn't show you what it is doing, and also, the corresponding
curses-level tool, "inst", is a system itself, with its own commands,
and doesn't issue single shell-level commands .  It should be possible
to build such a system so that the commands are a series  of
(shell-level) one-liners.  If that isn't possible, it should
at least create "inst" commands and then display them.

--
 Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21,    ASCII Email: lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
 NASA Ames Research Center     Or:          hlamaster@arc.nasa.gov