Subject: install media gzip vs. the current zcat ?
To: None <tech-install@NetBSD.ORG>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-install
Date: 06/04/1998 16:18:05
hi folks.

last year i wrote a zlib based gzip program.  it supports everything
that the GNU gzip does, except for timestamps, original file name
saving, and saving the compression level in the gzip header (these
are all features that the zlib library does not support -- yet).  i
was thinking about putting this in distrib/utils as it is a *LOT*
smaller than the standard gzip, when i noticed that there is a zcat
there already... with some hacks to make it even smaller.  while this
program is considerably smaller, much of this comes from a hack to
stop parts of the zlib library being incorporated (deflate methods
IIRC).

i'm happy for this zcat to remain there for the sun3 stuff (i believe
that it's only used there), but i'd really like to put my gzip in here
as well.  here are some (sparc) sizes:

-rwxrwxr-x  1 mrg  wsrc   71273 Jun  4 16:10 zcat
-rw-rw-r--  1 mrg  wsrc    2622 Oct  3  1996 zcat.c
-rwxrwxr-x  1 mrg  wsrc  114953 Jun  4 16:10 gzip
-rw-rw-r--  1 mrg  wsrc   13089 Jun  3 00:27 gzip.c

text    data    bss     dec     hex
98304   8192    3836    110332  1aefc   gzip
57344   8192    484     66020   101e4   zcat

does anyone object to me importing my gzip into distrib/utils/gzip_s ?
i plan on using it for the sparc floppies i'm working on (actually,
i'm already using it for them :)

.mrg.