Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: tech-install
Date: 12/05/1997 14:34:21
On Thu, 04 Dec 1997 14:40:13 -0500  Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> > I think it's reasonable to have the user boot into the newly
> > installed system, and let rc stop and have them configure it.
>
> Hmm.  This gets in the way of one-touch-automated installs..  (having
> to go interact with teh system again once the install completes would
> be really annoying if you're trying to install a hundred systems at
> once..)
>
> It would be Really Nice if you could feed sysinst a config
> file/template/whatever and thus let sites easily come up with a "here,
> boot this and watch it install your system" floppy..

I had great plans for sysinst configuring rc.conf (and other misc things
in /etc like timezones/localtime), but it's just not going to happen
before 1.3.  It will be at the top of my list after my Xmas holidays,
so it should be in place for a 1.3.1 or 1.4.  I don't believe we can do
better than this so close to the release date...

Simon.