Subject: NetBSD Install problem.
To: None <tech-install@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Sundberg <Stefan.J.Sundberg@telia.se>
List: tech-install
Date: 11/17/1997 11:07:01
To NetBSD Users and Designers!

I have a BIG problem when installing NetBSD on my Computer.

Computer data:     Pentium 233MMX
                            PX5 Motherboard
                            Fujitsu MPA3035ATU     3.3 GB IDE HDD
Primary Master (HDD1)
                            Seagate ST31722A          1.7 GB IDE HDD
Primary Slave    (HDD2)
                            Creative 24x CDRom.      IDE Secondary
Master

1.    When I read the install instructions there was a warning that the
number of cylinders must
        not exceed 1023.Values given by the install program:
        HDD1: 6780 Cylinders , 16 Heads , 63 Sectors.
        HDD2: 3305 Cylinders , 16 Heads , 63 Sectors.
        What can I do about this and what will the effects be when
installing.

2.    Well, I tried to install the OS anyway.
        I answered the questions about disk geometry with the values
given above.
        I used the whole disk for NetBSD.
        The program then made som kind of filesystem on the disk and I
was prompted to restart
        my computer. But then the computer will not pass BIOS, the
system just stopped after finding
        the disks on the IDE-bus. This is not fun, i cannot even reach
the floppy-drive and boot from
        a diskette. Do you have any idea how this problem can be
solved...
        The result were identical with both harddrives.

Kind Regards..

Stefan Sundberg    <stefan.j.sundberg@telia.se>