Subject: Re: [Q] Procedure to rebuild kernel
To: Calvin Young <youngc@cisco.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-install
Date: 11/11/1997 14:54:16
Calvin Young <youngc@cisco.com> writes:

> 1. Do I need to write a script to install all the source files or is
> there existing script doing that.  (cat set_name.?? | gunzip | tar xfp -
> will do one distribution file as described in INSTALL)

I think they are all just split, compressed tar files...  You will have to
do them all the way the manual describes.

> 2. After all the distribution files installed,  what is the procedure to
> make the kernel and install it?

Here is what I do (assuming i386 architecture here)

cd /sys/arch/i386/conf
cp GENERIC NEWTOY		# GENERIC might not exist in 1.2.1...  use
emacs NEWTOY			#   one that is close to what you want
/usr/sbin/config NEWTOY		# If you are ROOT, "config NEWTOY" works
cd ../compile/NEWTOY
make depend && make
(crunch)
cp /netbsd /onetbsd		# Save the old kernel, so you can boot it
cp netbsd /netbsd		#   if this one is somehow broken
shutdown -r now

--Michael